Tools of the Trade



Probably the biggest quandary for any beginning Amateur Astronomer is what telescope to buy?  There are dozens of choices out there, all with their pluses and minuses, all seemingly similar, but in actuality, quite different from one another.  Throw in things like manufacturer, budget, and mount, you have a dizzying array of items, information and God knows what all to sort through!

Here are a small handful of articles that I found especially helpful in explaining the various types and advantages each type has to offer:

Telescope Buyer's Guide
How to Choose a Telescope

Binoculars are a similar challenge.  Most people agree you need at least a good pair of 10x50's to see what you want to, but beyond that, another dizzying array.  Check out these guides:

Binoculars Buying Guide
A good introductory article on what you'll see with them

In the end, what it comes down to is how are you going to use your scope?  What's good for me isn't good for you, and I think going into an internet Astronomy forum and asking what you should buy isn't good for anybody.  Nothing against internet Astronomy forums, but usually what you'll find are people telling you to buy whatever new scope is currently popular or what scope they themselves want to buy next.  Not that those are the wrong answer, necessarily, they're just not actually the correct one for you.

The best piece of advice I found went something like, "The best telescope for you is the one that's going to be used often".   True words.  I can afford a 10" Dobsonian, and would love to have one.  I live in an apartment, have no place to store a 6' tall scope and have no way to transport one safely.  Even if I knew where I'd put it, I'd never be able to use it.  As wonderful as that scope is, as much as I want one --it's entirely the wrong scope for me.  If all I had to do was carry it 20 feet from the garage to the dark backyard, I'd be all over it. 

A really bad piece of advice that I see repeated often is, "Buy the biggest aperture you can afford".  Do that and you're likely to end up with a telescope that's bigger than you want and never gets used. It's advice handed out by gearheads (every hobby has them) without thought to use, just size.   Ignore it.

What I'm saying is, don't just look at specs.  Look at practicalities, ease of use, and what you're willing to do with it.  If you don't want to spend 40 minutes assembling and disassembling something, that rules out a whole slew of them right there.  If you have no room for a Dobsonian, so much for those.  And so on.  I think you'll find that the more you think about it, the fewer scopes there are that actually fit your needs and wants, and you may surprise yourself with what you decide on. 

I'm also a firm believe in that you probably can't go wrong with buying your first scope, as long as you stick to one of the major manufacturers and as long as it's one that you'll use.  One thing I found in my research is that most Amateur Astronomers own more than one scope, so I figure that whatever you buy first is going to be a learning scope anyways.  If you choose 'the wrong one' at first, no big deal.  It's what you'll learn on, and learn from, and when you buy your second scope down the road you'll know more of what you're looking for. 

When I was looking for my first scope, I realized I needed something compact and portable.  As I mentioned, I lived in an apartment.  Storage was important, as was portability since I wouldn't be using it at home much.  I ruled out reflective scopes immediately because they're larger and if I'm moving it around I'm probably going to have to collimate it often.  That narrowed the field tremendously.  So, I looked at refractors.  I found some really nice ones that were out of my budget, but I also found one that was probably designed for me or at least people like me.  I got the Orion 70mm Refractor GoScope



Not huge, not expensive, but highly portable and since it's a refractor, it can get bumped around a bit with no problems.  Also, it's what they call a backpack scope.  The tripod and the scope fit snugly into a backpack for storage.  With everything there's a trade off.  The scope itself gets high marks and excellent reviews; the tripod doesn't.  No big deal, a bag of rocks tied to the middle steadies even the most ricketiest mount with out additional expense. It's in a backpack, I can toss it in my truck and set it up on 5 minutes.  I can put it in the back of the closet when I'm not using it.  For me, it was the perfect scope to get.  An added bonus is, it's got a short focal length, so there aren't a lot of additional eyepieces that are going to do it any good.  I'm an accessories junkie, and this is a good limit to that.

It's also a good telescope for me because this is the scope I'm going to learn with. If I stumble over it, lose it, wreck it, etc.  I'm not going to be all that busted up about it.  I can replace it easily.  I'm also a self admitted cheap bastard, and while I do take care of my things, accidents happen and I'd be a lot less upset over losing this for whatever reason, than I would be if I spent $600 or more.   So far, I've been pleased with it.

I own a pair of 7x35 binoculars, and used them quite a bit for stargazing on camping trips.  After reading more about binocular astronomy, I decided to upgrade to the recommended 10x50 size.  Again, being a cheap bastard who wants things I don't mind breaking or losing, I bought a pair of Celestron 10x50 UpClose binoculars.


Yes, you can buy a lot larger and a lot more expensive binoculars than these, but at around $30 these are pretty much perfect for me.  If I lose them, I order more on pay day and forget about them.  Nope, they're probably not optically the best, but for my situation they are the best for me. 

Why I'm writing all this, is because a lot of times I think we're led to believe what's best isn't actually the best for us.  We tend to overlook what's best for practicality and ease of use, and get distracted by bells and whistles that end up being meaningless at the end of the day.  Or, as mentioned above, a really fantastic telescope that is almost impossible for us to use. 

I also am not a big fan of traipsing around outdoors in the dark with hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of equipment.  Anything I can do to limit that is a good thing!





Comments

  1. Excellent overview of astronomical binoculars and entry level astro telescopes along with a wealth of informative links. I've checked out your blog from time to time for radio reviews (I think Jeff posted a link on Herculodge) and found your takes much in line with my own, re the Tecsun PL-660 and a few others. Your recent astronomy pieces have regenerated a dormant interest in stargazing, so I may well end buying both binocs and entry level scope. Question: why did you opt for the Orion GoScope 70mm when the 80mm is the same 100 bucks? From what I've read 80mm offers significantly more light gathering power (whatever the hell that is) than 70mm. Was it just the backpack portability issue? And, yeah, Oregon isn't exactly stargazing Nirvana. Or worldband reception, for that matter.


    Best,

    Doug (rainguy@comcast.net)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops. Forgot to ask if you purchased a tripod adapter for your Celestron binocs. Thanks.

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Doug, I appreciate the comments. Yeah, probably found the link from Herculodge, he's posted it a couple of times I think.

    You're right about the 80mm. It was one that I spent a lot of time looking at before making a decision. What it came down to for me, was exactly as you had it, the portability of the 70mm backpack. Most of the time I'll be using it away from home, so that was really appealing to me. The 70mm has a tripod of dubious quality while the 80mm at the same price needed a table to rest on. The 80mm with a dubious tripod is about $80 more. So in the end, price and portability won. The 80mm looked good to me, just hauling a folding table around didn't.

    I give myself a year with it, and next Christmas I may decide to get something bigger, bulkier and more breakable. If I was in a situation where I could just drag something to the backyard, I probably would've gone for a 8" or 10" Dobsonian from Orion.

    I didn't get a tripod adapter for the binocs. At 10x50 they're okay without one. You'd probably want to get one of those old style outdoor folding lounge chairs to lay back and use them with, or some people get the cheap inflatable rafts to lay on. Elbows make a great tripod that way.

    Yeah, Oregon is not optimal for stargazing or short wave listening. Maybe one day I'll take up mushroom hunting or tree spotting; I think those might be a lot easier here.


    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ron.

    After a near full day of online research, I ordered a pair of Celestron 15 x 70, a.k.a "Giant" astronomical binos for $60 w/free shipping from Amazon. There were 331 reviews posted with an average rating of 4.5 stars, many of the 5 stars coming from experienced amateur astronomers who own a whole stable of astro telescopes. More than a few stated that, although they had 10" Dobsonians and even higher end instruments, that they found themselves using the binos way more than their expensive scopes. Some said that handheld worked fine with the 15 x 70s (if you could find some kind of semi-reclining position), others said that, no, you really needed a tripod. I'll give them a try sans tripod for a decent try-out, then probably end up ordering one from Amazon. I found all 5 stargazing books you reviewed at the library and put them on hold for pickup sometime this week so I can see which works best and which merit buying.
    Question: How would you rate the performance of your GoScope? Hard to find stuff and, once you do, to focus? Or pretty easy. What about image quality and detail? How would you compare the GoScope with your Celestron binos for general stargazing?
    Sky and Telescope has about 20 articles on using binos; I read 3 of them, everything positive. In fact, one suggested that amateurs/novices not even bother getting a telescope.

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Doug,

    Let me know what you think of the binocs. I may be interested in them down the road if they don't need a tripod.

    So far, I'm pretty pleased with the GoScope. It's not like I have a lot of experience with telescopes, so take that for what it is! The mount could be a lot better, but that's the only complaint. Optics wise, I have no qualms with it.

    I wouldn't say it's hard to find anything with it, the EZ-Finder red dot finder on it works really well, and I kind of prefer that to a magnified finder scope. I would say that the image detail is going to be about as good as you can get with a scope of that size. I would recommend it, with the caveat that you're going to have to stabilize the mount. That's easy to do, hang a sack of rocks or sand from the middle of it and it's solid.

    Imagewise, there's no competition, the telescope wins hands down over the binoculars. It's just a matter of math and magnification. They're apples and oranges though, I think. You can see a lot more with the telescope, but even a small basic scope like the GoScope has a higher learning curve to it than binoculars. The binocs are great for kicking back, relaxing and scanning the stars, and they're really good for learning the sky and star hopping.

    For the books, I'd recommend you read NightWatch from the library. It's got a lot of good info, and puts a lot of things into perspective for the beginner. I think it's a must read for starting out, but I don't know that it's price merits a purchase. Definitely buy the Pocket Sky Atlas, a star chart of some kind is a necessity I think. It's also cheap. Between Turn Left at Orion and Binocular Highlights, I'd say get Binocular Highlights. It's a good place to start and I like Turn Left, but I think if I'd bought Binocular Highlights first I'd be satisfied for a good long while.

    Let me know what you think of the books, and the binoculars. If you come across any other books that are worthwhile, let me know. I'm fairly certain winter astronomy in Oregon takes place indoors with a book, beverage and fireplace.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ron,

    Will do. I now have 6 books on hold at the library and will pick up this week sometime, 3 of the ones you descsribe and 3 you don't. Yeah, in Oregon astronomy seems a frustrating hobby, especially in winter. I will spend some time with the binos once they arrive, but may have to wait a good time to find a clear patch of sky. If all goes well, and my interests remains, I will opt for a scope, most likely a refractor, by late spring or summer.

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doug,

    If you're in the Portland area, you should check out some of the monthly OMSI sky parties. The first 2012 one happens on 3/17 at either Rooster Rock or Stubbs Stewart state park. You can check out a lot of other people's telescopes and see what they're like and what's involved with them all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ron,

    I picked up 6 books from the library today and by far the best (for me) was The Backyard Astronomer's guidebook. Massive amount of well-presented, jargon-free info and entertainingly written. I found a brand new copy of the 2002 edition on half.com for $3.50 and ordered it. Other than the newer equipment reviews in the 2006 ed, which I already read, it should be 99.9% the same book as nothing much up there will have moved in the intervening 4 years. Nightwatch was #2 and I found a copy of the 1998 edition on half.com for 75 cents and ordered it, too. Same thing, re not much change.

    I also signed on to the Astronomy Forum and already posted a couple of questions and heard back from 6 experienced members, all of whom strongly agreed with my decision to buy, for my first scope, the Orion 90mm StarMax Maksutov-Cassegrain over the GoScope 80mm. All said, in essence, no contest, that the Mak-Cass would be a scope that you will never likely outgrow and that it has outstanding optics and focal length due to the design (1250 mm vs 350mm in the GoScope). Right now they are on sale for $179, so I may order one soon. Still waiting for my Celestron 15 x 70 binos to be SHIPPED by Amazon. Not delivered. Shipped. I ordered them 5 days ago. They generally get things out pretty fast, but not this time.

    What do you know about the Rose City Astronomers? Ever to to a meeting or star party of theirs?

    Doug

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts